Aircraft Mechanics Dot Com
You want to become and Aircraft Mechanic?

This website is designed to help you learn more about how to become an Aircraft Mechanic and earn your Airframe and Powerplant Certificates (commonly known as an A & P license, or simply A&P);

There are over 150 FAA approved (FAR part 147) Aviation Maintenance Technician Schools nationwide. These schools offer training for one mechanic's certificate or both. Many schools offer avionics courses that cover electronics and instrumentation.

What does FAA certification of an aviation maintenance technician school mean?

Certification indicates the school meets the requirements of part 147, subpart B, Certification Requirements, for the ratings issued. FAA certification does not necessarily mean universities will extend college credit nor does it indicate approval by other states or federal agencies.

Some schools offer a diploma and others may require that you already have a high school diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED) to apply. The courses typically last from 12 month to 24 months, which is less than required by FAA for on-the-job training. After you graduate, you will be qualified to take the required FAA's written, oral, and practical exams.

Do you already have experience working as a Aircraft Mechanic?
Required Steps - Where to start on you journey to becoming and Aircraft Mechanic and earn your Airframe and Powerplant Certificates (commonly known as an A & P license, or simply A&P);

• What FAA Requirements must be met to be eligible for to take the FAA written tests and the FAA Oral and Practical Exams to become an Aircraft Mechanic;

• Which Airframe and Powerplant Schools, Colleges, Universities or Test Prep Courses are right for you;

• Where to find training to help get you through this complicated FAA Testing and Certification process;

• Aircraft Mechanic Careers - Airplane Mechanics, Helicopter Mechanics, etc.

Directory - of Airframe and Powerplant Schools By State

Eligibility Requirements to Take the Practical Exam:
Already have work experience as an Aircraft Mechanic? Read below to see if you are already eligible to take the Airframe & Powerplant oral and practical exam.

Basic Eligibility Requirements:
Applicants pursuing an Airframe or Powerplant license must meet the requirements within FAR 65.71-65.77
You must be at least 18 years of age;
You must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language;
Experience - You need a certain amount of experience to become a certified power plant or airframe mechanic. There are three options described below.

1 - Civilian Experience:
You can work at an FAA Repair Station or FBO under the supervision of a certified mechanic for 18 months for each certificate, or 30 months combined for both the Airframe and Powerplant certificates. You must document your experience with pay receipts, a log book signed by your supervising mechanic, a notarized statement from your employer, or other proof you worked the required time.

If you meet (or are close to) the above experience requirements,
follow the steps below:

OR, you can learn about
FAA-Approved Aviation Maintenance Technician School in your state

2 - Military Experience:
You can join one of the armed services and get training and experience in aircraft maintenance. Make sure you are in a military occupational specialty for which FAA gives credit. You can get a current list of acceptable specialties from the local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO).

View Military Occupation Codes

If you meet (or are close to) the above experience requirements,
follow the steps below:

OR, you can learn about
FAA-Approved Aviation Maintenance Technician School in your state

3 - Graduate of an FAA approved Mechanic School:
As an alternative to these experience requirements, you can graduate from an FAA-Approved Aviation Maintenance Technician School.

If you do not have the required Civilian or Military experience, there are a number of FAA approved schools (known as Part 147 schools).

Graduates are authorized to test for Airframe & Powerplant Licenses.

Learn about
FAA-Approved Aviation Maintenance Technician School in your state
I have the Civilian or Military experience Requirements, what do I do next?
To become an aircraft mechanic, you must take oral and practical tests as well as written tests. With both types of on-the-job training you should set aside additional study time to prepare for the written and oral/practical tests. The FAA will give you credit for your practical experience only after review of your paperwork and an interview with an FAA Airworthiness inspector.

Follow the steps outlined below:
Have documentation proving your military or civilian experience:

You will need documentation from past and/or current Airframe and Powerplant mechanic(s) explaining the type and duration of the maintenance that you performed. This should state, in detail, what aircraft and/or powerplants you have worked on, what tasks you performed and how long you did these tasks. These must be signed by a shop supervisor or an A&P mechanic and submitted to the FAA.

You may have multiple letters but they must total 30 months experience for both Airframe and Powerplant OR 18 months for each.

International applicants must also obtain a letter or stamp from the civil aviation authority within their country attesting for the letter from their employers.
Obtain FAA approval:
  Once you have the paperwork you need, you must schedule an appointment with an FAA maintenance inspector at your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO). Locate a FSDO After an inspector authorizes you to test, they will issue you 2 copies of the 8610-2, Airman Certification and/or Rating Application Form.
Pass the required FAA knowledge tests - Airframe, Powerplant & General:

To apply to take the written test, you must present your proof of experience to an FAA inspector at the local FAA office (described above). There are separate tests for airframe and power plant mechanic certificates, as well as a general test covering both. If the inspector decides you meet the requirements to take one of the tests, you may make an appointment for testing at one of the many computer testing facilities world-wide (PDF). Also, you can get a list of sample general, airframe, and power plant test questions, and copy of FAA testing supplements.

Depending on whether you would like to obtain your Airframe, Powerplant, or Airframe and Powerplant combined, you will need to achieve a score of at least 70% on the General, Airframe, and Powerplant knowledge tests.

Schedule the required Oral and Practical Exams:

After you have passed the required knowledge tests, you must contact an FAA Designated Mechanic Examiner (DME), and schedule your Oral & Practical exam. Your local FSDO can help you obtain a list of Designated Mechanic Examiners.

The oral and practical tests cover 43 technical subjects. Typically tests for one certificate--airframe or power plant--takes about 8 hours. If you fail part of a test, you have to wait 30 days before you can take it again, unless you give a letter to the Examiner showing you've gotten additional training in the areas you failed.

After you have successfully completed your oral and practical exam, you will be issued a temporary license that is valid for 120 days, while the FAA processes your paperwork.
Non-US citizens interested in becoming a mechanic

You must demonstrate that you need a mechanic certificate to maintain U.S.-registered civil aircraft and you are neither a U.S. citizen nor a resident alien.
Show the examiner your passport.
Provide a detailed statement from your employer saying what specific types of maintenance you preformed on each aircraft, and how long you performed it.
Provide a letter from the foreign airworthiness authority of the country in which you got your experience, or from an advisor of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), validating your maintenance experience.
Make sure all the documents you provide are signed and dated originals.
Pay the fee for the document review.

What if I can't meet the English language requirements?
We may waive the language requirement if you live outside the United States. We would stamp your certificate "Valid only outside of the U.S."